Aggie Mundeen Mystery 1: Fit to Be Dead

Fit to be Dead - Nancy G. West

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review during the blog tour. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I am a huge lover of mysteries (one of my favorite genres, my favorite sleuth being Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot) and am always looking to find new ones to try. When I read the description on this one - and saw that it was set in the city that I live in - I thought this could be a great read. I was right and wrong.

I was expecting a light mystery, one that I could just breeze through, the kind of book most people consider "summer reading." What I got was a cute mystery. I mean, it was cute - I did get my bit of light reading and breezed through the story quite quickly - but when I was telling my mom about it, she said "Mysteries aren't supposed to be cute," and I agree with her there.

After the incident in the pool on the day Aggie starts at Fit and Firm, I was interested to find out what was going to happen next and kept reading. It got even more interesting after the murder. There were some funny parts too. But I felt like I was reading a romance that was trying to disguise itself as a mystery novel - and was trying too hard to be cute and funny. I actually thought this was just me - I'm not really a fan of the romance genre - but when I sat down to write this review, having no idea where to start or what to even say, I took a look at some of the other reviews to see if other people felt the same way that I did, and there were a few that did.

I think my major issue with the book was Aggie herself. I didn't like her, from the very first pages. She cared too much about looks and came across, at least in my opinion, as an unhappy know-it-all who constantly wanted all attention on her. I also felt like she "played dumb" to get guys to notice her, something I just can't stand. I found myself wanting to know what was going to happen to the other characters - a few I really got into - and not really caring to find out more about her.

I do plan to read book #2, though. I'm curious to see how things progress and if she matures any as the series goes on. I may like her more if she does.