How the Water Falls

How the Water Falls - Kollenborn,  K.P.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

This is a sad and scary story set at a time in South African history before the apartheid ends, when the civil war was just getting started. It is basically the story of Joanne and Lena, two very different women (one white and one black), but at the same time very much alike - they both want a better South Africa and they both are willing to be open-mouthed about it. As they continue on for the next thirteen years, a lot of stuff happens to them and around them - and a friendship grows between them.

As the author says in the book description (a must read, by the way, along with the "from the author" on the Amazon book page), this is a very complex story and it jumps around a lot, sometimes slow and sometimes hard to follow. And yet I kept reading because I found the whole thing very interesting and I wanted - no, needed - to know what was going to happen next. There are several moments where I literally caught my breath and didn't realize I had until I let it all out when whichever character was on the page was safe again.

Very moving, very emotional - and the author has included a lot of historical information in the book as well.