The New Indian Slow Cooker

The New Indian Slow Cooker: Recipes for Curries, Dals, Chutneys, Masalas, Biryani, and More - Neela Paniz

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

Indian cuisines is one of my favorite cuisines, something I tried when I was young and have loved and been amazed by ever since. My mother used to cook us recipes from Stendahl's The Bombay Palace Cookbook and their dishes were so flavorful and just plain amazing. As an adult, I have not only read that cookbook, but several more, trying to learn what I can about this cuisine and how to make the classic dishes, as well as more modern ones. I was excited when I found this on NetGalley and this is definitely one of my favorites of all the cookbooks I've read this year.

There is so much information included in this book and I suggest that you sit down and read it all before you get started on any of the recipes. She explains a lot - about ingredients and equipment, about the steps, about why things are the way they are - and with that, the recipes themselves are easier to make. (She even gives you tips to make the recipes without buying the "special equipment" that is used with Indian cooking.)

The pictures are amazing - my stomach was growling just looking at them (and I'm getting hungry just thinking about it) - and the recipes are exciting and fun (especially the ones I hadn't heard of before). Chutneys, curries, dahls, masalas ... she has a lot in this book and it is all organized very well. This is definitely a book I plan to put on my bookshelf and utilize every chance I get.

Note: The author includes an excerpt on the book's Amazon page which includes her broth recipe.