Hostage: Kidnapped on the High Seas

Hostage: Kidnapped on the High Seas - Linda Davies

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I received an email one day from Sage asking me if I liked memoirs and, after looking at the two she suggested to me, I gladly said yes to both. They could not be any more different (the other one was a sort-of romance that was insanely hilarious), but both very powerful.

This story is frightening and sad at the same time. I can't even imagine how she handled going through the things she talks about in this book - and, to be honest, I don't know if I could have survived such an ordeal. Kidnapped by militants armed to the teeth, unaware of what they were going to do to you next, unable to speak to your children or tell anyone where you were - scary!!

The pain and fear that she felt during her captivity shines through her words in this book, but at the same time, she keeps a sort of dark humor throughout it all (I especially love the voice in her head that is rather giddy when it comes to things i.e. when she gets forced onto an old rickety plane, it reminds her that she has never actually been on a private plane before ... or a military one for that matter ... so totally how my brain works when I panic).

The only issue I had with this book is how it is written - and this may be just a personal issue. It's a memoir, so of course it's going to be written in first person, but I felt like parts of it did not flow (while others just kept me going), were choppy (if that makes sense), especially when several sentences in a row begin with the word "I." But I did begin it and have a hard time putting it down because I wanted to know what happened next.

If you like memoirs and personal adventures, you should check this book out. The insight she gives on the culture is really interesting.