Strangers on a Bus

Strangers on a Bus - Rob Manary

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.  No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

When I was first suggested this book by a Blog Tour friend, I really wasn't so sure, but the avid reader in me decided to give it a go. Six pages in and I was glad that I did. It's a true story ... and I love the way this guy thinks.

I laughed so hard through almost the entirety of this book. Even the sad parts (and there were some, especially when he talks about memories and his ex) were funny, the way he looked back on them and described them - I like it when people can look back and make jokes (jokes are a great way to help you get through things). I also knew how he felt when it came to some situations, so I felt a great deal of empathy while reading it.

Once the girl enters the bus, and he decides to rename her (funny!), things start to look up and by the end of the book, I really did have "tears of laughter and heartache." (By the way, I did not find When Harry Met Sally funny at all. Wait wait wait - hold your horses there, Tiger. There are actually quite a few movies I have sat through with friends where everyone is laughing, except me. Miss Congeniality, for example. Not.funny.at.ALL. Everyone was staring at me like "Why aren't you laughing?" and I'm all "Why ARE you laughing?" The point? THIS book being compared to THAT movie is what threw me off. I mean, I guess they are comparable, but this book = hilarious, that movie = yeah, not so much.)

Favorite quotes: There were lots, but there were too at the beginning that I couldn't forget.

"Interesting fact, right! I wonder if it's true. Shit I make up rarely is."
            "She and I are about as good a combination as peanut butter and eels."