Discord Trilogy 1: The Golden Apple of Discord

The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy) - Lauren Hodge

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I know – you're thinking "Another vampire story?!?!" When I originally read the book description, I felt the same way. I actually had to think long and hard about whether I wanted to be part of this blog tour because, though I love vampires, there are too many out there that are more Twilight than blood thirsty evil creatures and blood thirsty creatures are the vampires I like. The story is fun and different, though, which is what kept me reading and I'm glad I did – I kept wondering how things were going to turn out and was shocked when things went a different way than I had originally expected.

I really got into the characters, felt for them, wondered more about them, and loved to find out who they were and how they got to where they are. I do think that the romance between some of the characters began too soon – I hate the whole "super protective, especially in battle" thing because it leaves everyone open to be killed, plus there's the potential of it taking away from the rest of the story – but we'll see how I feel about that at the end of the series.

There is a lot of action and funny parts, but also some parts that make you sad. The vampire history discussed is fascinating and goes in a different way than usually portrayed in books. And, yes, they can go out during the day – and they don't shimmer shimmer shimmer.

Written from Tara's point of view, this story is a prime example of WHY I dislike most first person stories. It is, at times, uncomfortable (the flow, not the storyline) and boring – it feels like I am sitting on my couch listening to someone recount the events of their day, including conversations, and there are some moments that I feel are just unnecessary. It does get a little better as the story goes on, but it stays a little jumpy, with spans of time where you're not sure if it's one hour, one day, or a couple of weeks. I do understand why the author chose to use first person – and learning about Tara this way was great – but I think it could have been a little tighter.

There are some editing issues in the copy I was given for review: several missing words throughout the book.

Favorite character: I really like the sisters, but Cora is my favorite. She's hilarious and sarcastic. I also relate to Tara in some ways, understand how she feels in certain situations. The Noricum are interesting and I can't wait to learn more about them.

Favorite line:
I roll my eyes. "It's just a rat."
Cora gags a little. "There is no such thing as just a rat!"
I say, "Now there are four turtles mourning their master."