Claude on the Slopes

Claude on the Slopes - Alex T Smith

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I really liked Claude … and his best friend Sir Bobblysock (who is, in fact, a sock). He is a cute and fun little guy, but he doesn’t always know how to behave properly. In this book, he learns lots of stuff – using our inside and outside voices, especially in a library and out near snow covered mountains, plus some other snow safety – and he learns it all in a fun way. It was very cute.

The class: I have been working with them on sitting through longer books. I know, 96 pages seems a little long, but a lot of it is pictures – it’s a chapter book for the little ones who are just starting out with reading. The kids had a lot of fun with this book and it was funny watching them whisper in the book center afterwards (because that’s how you’re supposed to act in a library) and to see them add the snow safety they learned into their dramatic play. I had several ask me to open my computer up so they could look at it again.

Favorite line: “Well, of course Claude had a tea tray he could use. He always kept one in his beret – with a full tea set just in case there was a tea-based emergency.” And who HASN’T had a “tea-based emergency” at least some time in their lives? :)