Way Walkers: Tangled Paths

Way Walkers: Tangled Paths - J.  Leigh

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.  No other consideration was offered, expected or received.

I don’t usually do this, but before I sat down to write this review today, I looked at the reviews others had left on Amazon.  I have so much I want to say on this book and I wanted to see if others felt the same way that I did.  I needed to get my thoughts in order.

First, I want to say that this is a very good book.  It is an unusual story, highly unique, and the drama that runs through the story is very interesting.  You learn a lot about their world, their city, their people, their religion in this book.

Second, Jathen and Thee are two really great characters – Jathen is not accepted among his people and, because of this, he has a bit of a temper, a bit of a snarky, sarcastic streak; Thee is his little sister and she really cares for him, spends time with him, stands up for him, and, from what I gathered, is his only real friend.  There are other characters that, as I read through this book, I got to know more about and I think the character building was done really well.  The world building, too – there were things they described (such as the palace) that I could literally see in my head - and isn’t that what we want from the books we read, to be able to see the story play out before our eyes?

Third, the book left me wanting more – more action, more story, more everything.  Having interviewed the author, I know that there is more to come, not only with the Way Walkers, but a few novels from “before” that will be coming out when Way Walkers is through, and I am excited to read these.

But then we come to “fourth,” and the reason that I chose to give this book a 4 instead of a 5 – the reason I looked at those other reviews and only noticed one point it out – there is a lack of real action in this book AND there were points that I felt like I was on information overload.  This book is full of information and the information is great and written really well - the moments between characters run the gambit of emotion - but I wanted more to happen.  Now, I know when people write a trilogy or a series, they have a plan of what is happening in each book and, when you have a longer story like that, you need to give out a lot of info, but I am also one of those people that want action stuck in amongst that.

Please, don’t let that last paragraph stop you from reading this book because I think, as I said before, it is a really good book with great characters – and I can only imagine how much better the series is going to get as each book happens – and, as I saw from the other reviews, maybe I’m one of the minority when it comes to this action thing.  I mean, I have been known to grow rather bored with an action packed book when it slows down some.

Great job, Jaime.  Let me know when the next book is out because I can’t wait to get my hands on it.