Burnt Mountain 1: The Monster Within

Burnt Mountain: The Monster Within (Burnt Mountain Series) (Volume 1) - Cheryl Campbell

What could be worse than reliving a horrible nightmare from your past?  Knowing your child (or, in this case, your niece that you adopted after the death of your sister/her mother) and her two friends are lost in this hell and you have to save them.  That is what has happened to Emma.  She isn't alone, though - the twins' father is with her.  Can they find Rio, Sebastian and Colby before the creatures do?

This is a scary and exciting adventure - creatures they know nothing about, a realm they've never knew existed, your worst fears coming to life (can you name yours?  how would you react if you were suddenly physically confronted by them?) - and so much more.  There were some moments when, in all honesty, I was scared that the characters wouldn't make it.  Well done, Cheryl, well done.

There are two things I want to point out, though.  First, there are some editing issues with this book.  I did not count this toward my star rating, but the author should take a look at this.  Also, it gets somewhat confusing when they go back and forth between calling Emma Rio's mom and Rio's aunt.  The first two chapters, I had to reread several paragraphs to make sure I was reading about the right person.  Could be just me, though.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.