Former Fat Girl Tells All

Former Fat Girl Tells All.: How I Lost Over 100 Pounds Without Ever Dieting or Hiring a Personal Trainer - Kelly Ann Grimaldi

A lot of weight-loss books really bug the mess out of me.  Why?  Because most of them are written by people who have never been overweight a day in their lives - or worse, they only had to lose a small weight, like 20 pounds, but constantly talk about how obese they were.  Now maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it's hard to listen to someone talk about how they "did it" when they really didn't do that much.  They may know everything, but they just don't understand.

This book was different.  She WAS overweight - and she did it the healthy way - no diets, no medications, no operation, no gym membership with a personal trainer.  Not only that, but when she decided to do begin this journey, she knew nothing about what she was doing.  She tells you how she felt, the steps she took, how she figured things out and what she learned - and she does it like a real live person, she talks to you as if you two are buddies.  She even, at one point, says that if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to her.  And I love how she tells you that she thinks you're beautiful, no matter your size.

That was a big thing I liked about this - how personal it was for her, how personable she was - and how she reminds you that you are beautiful and just right the way you are, reminding you that, if you are going to lose weight, you need to do it for the right reasons.

She even makes very good points about how your body reacts to meat and processed foods.

My favorite parts of the book are the second paragraph of the preface, the last paragraph of Chapter 2 (she proves that she is very insightful and caring) and Chapter 18 is the most important one of all.  I loved learning her story.

Note: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.