The Drummer's Manifesto

The Drummer's Manifesto: Empowering Your Musical Brain for Optimal Health - Pamela Lynn-Seraphine, Dom Famularo

I am a drummer.  One that has idolized Animal and his stint in the Dr Teeth & the Electric Mayhem band her whole life.  Drumming relaxes me - whether it's playing behind a big drum set, drumming my fingers (or pencils) on my desk, twirling drum sticks in my hands or listening to the beat of drums in American Indian music.

It's called music therapy and this book is all about one aspect of that, the drums and how they help with stress management, among other things.  I chose to read this not only for myself (who doesn't want to better themselves?), but as part of the research I do for my mother/boss (she's a Pediatric Occupational Therapist and I'm her personal assistant) to help her with the children she works with who have special needs.  Music therapy is being used by people from all walks of life, though, and there has been lots of research done on the topic.

The first half of this book is a backstory behind it all and interesting information written in a concise form.  The second half is tips and steps you can use to make this work for you.  Throughout the book, she has included "inspirational resources" to help you along on your journey (you can use an app on your phone or tablet to scan them or follow the links provided).  Definitely an interesting little book full of helpful information.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.