Bryan Cohen's Writing Prompt Box Set

1,000 Creative Writing Prompts Box Set: Five Books, 5,000 Prompts to Beat Writer's Block - Bryan Cohen, Jeremiah Jones

A few years ago, when I began working with schoolage children, I decided it would be fun to work with them on their writing and encourage them to keep a journal, two things that I enjoyed quite a lot when I was young (and still do to this day).  Now, anyone who works with children knows that telling them to pick something to write about themselves is just not going to happen, so I spent quite a bit of time over the first few weeks looking up writing prompts online and making up some of my own.  Ever since then, I've always been very curious when I see someone has put together a group of these (whether it be on a website or in a book).

The first book of Bryan's that I read just amazed me.  His prompts were much better than anything I had found online those many years ago.  They were really good and I will fully admit that, while reading it, I would go off into thought on some of the thoughts that really stuck out to me.  I enjoyed them and have used a lot of them with the schoolage children I work with, as well as used them myself.  They really do help when you're not sure what to write, when you have a block that is stopping you or when you want to use freewriting to open your mind to possibilities.

Since that first book, I have read every other book he has offered on this subject and, finding out that he had put them all in the same collection, I had to come back and write a review to let people know that these are more than worth the price he's asking.

These writing prompts have worked for me with children in middle school (of course, some of them you have to adapt to make them work for a younger child) all the way up to adults.  I have actually handed my Kindle to a child and said "Here, you pick what you want to write about" and watched them write down several ideas and then head off to work on them.  I have had children (and adults that I have told about these) say to me that Bryan really makes you think and makes writing fun.

Do I recommend these books??  Definitely. :)  And I hope they are as helpful to you as they have been to me and my students.