Reading Progress: 37%

Glass & Gardens: Solarpunk Summers - Silvia Stefani, Charlotte Brontë, Edward Leslie Edmonds, Jaymee Goh, Sam S. Kepfield, Sarena Ulibarri, Wendy Nikel, M Lopes da Silva, Julia K. Patt, Holly Schofield, Gregory Scheckler, DK Mok, Jennifer Lee Rossman, Shel Graves, Jerri Jerreat, Commando Jugendstil, Tales f

I warn you now - I have given parts of stories away below.  Not the whole point of the story - like I didn't tell who the murderer was or anything - but I've given away things that you'd have to read the story to find out.  Continue reading warned.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am with this anthology.  So frustrated, in fact, that had I not promised the publisher that I would post a review in a couple of days from now, I'd probably put it back "on my shelf" and not look at it again.

It does have some good stories in it so far.  I really like the fact that it's all "happy go lucky" instead of "all out war" like most dystopians are (and wish more authors would think that way) and that, for the most part, at least one of the characters learns something by the end of the story.

There have been a couple of stories that have made me Hulk Mad, though.  I'm not even exaggerating.

I'm all...

Like the one about a camping trip where I was so irritated - like, physically felt the irritation, the blood pressure go up, got crabby - because of the two male characters in the story, and I finished the story not out of enjoyment, but because I wanted to find out if the girl telling the story actually broke up with her boyfriend at the end.

And the one where this "relationship" (if you can call a one night stand that, a one night stand between two people from two different strongholds that are working together, where the one guy who's telling the story wants the other one to come with him and is convinced that the other one wants him to stay) comes out of nowhere almost at the end of the story, a "relationship" that honestly made no sense at all to me, and felt like it didn't belong at all.

Oh and the one where people now radiate the colors of their emotions and are judged by those colors like people now are judged by the way they look.

And the last one I just finished, where she mentions fleetingly that her mother knows she's bisexual and then it's never mentioned again, in any way, but the story goes on for way too long about the ex-boyfriend and the new guy her mother wants her to hook up with.  I get to the end of the story, thinking that her mother has maybe hooked her up with a woman instead, which would explain why it was mentioned, but no, she hasn't, and I can't figure out why it's mentioned at all because it really just makes no sense and is not the first time I've read a story where the author has thrown in some sort of "key word" (like trans or lesbian or whatever) and it's just came across as cheap, like the author is either doing it to not offend people or because they think that they can garner more readers that way.

And I'm only 37% in... *sigh*