REVIEW: You're the Cream in My Coffee

You're the Cream in My Coffee - Jennifer Lamont Leo

You're looking at the genre and wondering what in the world I was thinking, aren't you? I know, I know - me and romance books are like pickle juice and chocolate chip cookies. The cover caught my attention, though, and the storyline seemed pretty interesting.

The story is set in the roaring 20s (though there wasn't much talk of that, or much description either, minus the fact that prohibition was going on, the word "speakeasy" was used a few times, and their fashion choices) in the city of Chicago. Marjorie is a girl that needs to find herself and figure out what to do with her life, so when she bumps into who she swears is her ex-boyfriend, who died in the war, and spends a couple of days enjoying the art museum, she decides to stay in the city instead of heading back home to her small town, her family... and her fiance.

I really enjoyed this book... and actually had a hard time putting it down. I liked Marjorie quite a bit, even though she was a bit of a goody-goody and was very set in her Christian ways. Her new friend, Dot, who she met at work in Chicago, is the complete opposite of her, and they both learn a lot from each other as the story goes on.

Helen (Marjorie's sister) and Charlie (their brother) were both well-written characters, who grew in these pages, but Pop... he was my favorite. There wasn't much of him in the story, but when there was, he was exactly what Marjorie needed.

I consider this book more historical fiction and mystery than I do women's fiction, but I can see why the author chose to justify it as such, what with the mystery of Marjorie's future being discussed, and some of the things that her and Dot went through in the story. Finding out just who Peter was took Marjorie on an adventure (filled with inner turmoil) that gave the story more depth than I originally had expected.

Definitely a good story that I would highly recommend if you like those coming-of-age type things. Do keep in mind that there are some Christian points to the story. Marjorie and her family come from a God-fearing, church-going small town and there is a lot of speak of God, which I happened to enjoy.

Back to the topic of that book cover catching my eye. I wish it had actually depicted one of the two main characters. I had that girl (on the photo) in mind, but never once did what they were wearing ever coincide with that. I think, had the cover artist used the yellow hat or the blue gown (to find out more you have to actually read the story), it would have really tied that in more and gave me an aha moment (besides when the title was used in the story).

I absolutely loved the descriptions of working in the department store and all that she did there. What fun, and though not completely historically accurate with this particular store at this particular time, the author's description is pretty spot-on with things I have read.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.