Prince of Nightmares

Prince of Nightmares - John McNee

A couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to read John McNee's first book, GrudgePunk. It was my first Bizarro book and, I must say, that was the day (because that's how long it took me to read it) that I fell in love with him. Um... I mean... his writing (haha). It was one of my top FOUR reads in 2013 and a book I have recommended to anyone who likes things... a bit out of the ordinary.

When I received an email from him asking if I would be interested in reading this novel, even though it is a different genre, I could not say yes fast enough.

And now, having finished the book a little under a month ago, I finally feel like I am able to sit down and write this review. (Anyone who follows my reviews knows that this is out of the ordinary for me, but I just felt I couldn't do it justice, not until today.)

McNee has a way with words that most authors do not have, and pulls you into his world from the first page. His characters are different, but also familiar enough that you feel like you see bits and pieces of people you know in each one. His storylines are creative and intriguing, which makes it very hard to put them down. And every time you think you have a handle on the whole thing, something happens that quickly changes your mind. His words stay with you long after you finish reading.

This is far from a favorite book of 2016 (though it will definitely make the list). It is a favorite book of my LIFETIME, and I've read a LOT of books.

And this is where my problem writing the review begins. I SO want to talk about every little thing that happened in this book - every "WOW!" moment - but I am the last person to give away the story for someone else, especially since I think this is a necessary read for all horror fans. So I will hit on a few points and leave it at that...

The setting is amazing - a haunted hotel that feeds you nightmares?! (and I mean NIGHTMARES) - and the characters themselves made you hate and love them at the same time. At first things seem very subdued, but as the story builds, and you get more information on each person involved, everything gets a little crazier... and more wonderful. The final chapters - EPIC! When the book ended, I sat there for awhile, trying to wrap my brain around everything that happened and get my heart to slow down and beat at a normal pace.

Horror is one of my favorite genres. And McNee - one of my favorite authors. I can't wait to see what he gives us next.

Note: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.