REVIEW: Desolation

Desolation - Kristopher Rufty

I have been following Kristopher Rufty's career for some time now, but have had the hardest time deciding which book of his I wanted to start with. After having him on The Gal in October, and learning more about him, I knew that I couldn't put this off any longer, so when Erin of Hook of a Book asked me if I wanted to be part of this blog tour, there was no way I was going to turn her down.

The cover and book description really caught my attention and I couldn't wait to pick it up, but at the same time I really didn't want to, knowing that if I loved it, I would be so disappointed when it ended.

I was immediately, from page one, pulled into a story that tugged at my heart strings - told from two different sides of a horrific event. I don't think I have cared this much for both the "good guy" and the "bad guy" in a long time. Rufty did an AMAZING job setting up the scenes, describing the events, and letting you meet his characters - each one having so much more to them than first expected. When things turn, as you would expect them to do in a novel in the horror genre, things get even better. Where the story went was so well-written that I feel I need to purchase every thing this man has EVER put on paper and start reading them, like, now.

It hasn't been very often lately that I have been so sucked up into a story that I have forgotten where I was, but with this book, I truly did. I lost sleep because of this book, being unable to put it down because it was so good. I missed bus stops because of this book, being so sucked in that I didn't realize, until two stops later, that I was still on the bus.

To say that I recommend this book is an understatement and I can't wait to see what he has to offer next.