Twelfth Krampus Night

Twelfth Krampus Night - Matt Manochio

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a HUGE fan of the Krampus myth. It all started when my nieces were 3. There was an article in the Houston Chronicle that told the stories of Krampus, as well as several other "characters" that deal with naughty children this time of year. To me, his story was the best, and ever since then, any time something is devoted to Krampus, I have to read it or see it. (Yes, that means I did see the movie - and I really liked it.)

This is my second Manochio novel, and I have one more planned for the month. As with the last one, I found this very enjoyable, and I'm glad that I was introduced to his talent.

The characters in this book are well written, especially Frau Perchta and Krampus. I love the competitive streak between the two that lasts the whole story, and how they deal with each other. I also like Beate and how much she grows as the story goes on. There were a couple of unexpected twists, and some things that kept me wondering until the answers were given at the conclusion. And what a conclusion... I really like how the story ended, but also what was laid out in the final pages, which put in my mind so many further stories that could be written starring these two amazing characters. (Yes, I am now a fan of Perchta, too.)

To me, this book was more like a really good action movie with some frightful moments. There were some parts that kept me on the edge of my seat, that had my heart pounding and my stress level up, but I didn't find it, as a whole, scary. That's not saying this isn't a great book because it really is. I just don't find Krampus himself to be "scary," just more a natural part of life, and I wish that he had more than one day to do his duties, or maybe a longer list.

This is a great read and I highly recommend it, especially to people who love Krampus as much as I do.

Favorite line: "Do you think it is okay if I eat some of him?" (Epic!)