Midnight Burning

Midnight Burning - Karissa Laurel

I was really excited about reading this book for a couple of reasons: she's a baker (so am I), the majority of the story takes place in Alaska (a place I've always wanted to visit), and there's a mystery involving the main death of the main character's brother (I love a little mystery).

The whole story was pretty exciting, what with the twists and turns, and I love how the author writes, the words that she chooses to use. I am a fan of mythology, and it's always fun to see how different authors can pull that kind of stuff into their stories. It was also interesting watching Solina (the main character), find her true self on this adventure, especially at a time when my adventure is helping me to do the same thing (though it was a pretty extreme change from how she sees/describes herself in the beginning - sometimes her sarcasm, standoffishness, and need to do things on her own was a little too much).

I did have a couple of issues with the characters. On one hand, they were good, enjoyable, made me keep wanting to read the story so I could find out what happened to them, but on the other hand they were too easy, and, as with Solina, too much. Val and Thorin were too perfect, and everything was just too sexually charged when it came to the two of them. Maybe that's because of the "romance" part of the book, and maybe that's what romance fans like, but it was a little off-putting to someone like me, who's not a big fan of romance. Skyla was pretty cool, and the more I learned about her, the more I liked her, but she was very stereotyped.

All in all, a great book, and an author that I'm going to keep my eye on. I'm curious to see what she gives us next.

Note: I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my impression of the book.