Madame Lilly 3: Time of Sanura

Madame Lilly, The Time of Sanura - Dormaine G.

Elijah, in hopes of saving Odara from her soulless alter ego, puts her into a deep slumber and shows her what happened, all those years ago, to her Great Grandmother, Sanura, and Grandmother, Sophie. Sanura is a lot like Odara, and after being unceremoniously kicked out of the home she grew up in (working for the Franklins, who got rid of her when Mrs. Franklin grew jealous of the attention her husband was showing Sanura), and ripped from her family, Sanura took a similar path to what Odara is taking now. Sanura's vengeance goes beyond those who hurt her, gaining payback and retribution on those who have hurt others and, along the way, finding out that her heart was not as black as she thought, until one day, she too was pushed too far.

This is the book that I agreed to review, but seeing that it had two books ahead of it, I requested to read those as well. I'm glad I did because I would have missed out on a lot of the story and been confused as to what happened in this one. In the second book, we learn some of the things, through Odara's thoughts, that happened in the first one, but in this one, there is none of that. This book starts where the second book ends.

The cover is what originally drew me to this book. It is definitely one of my favorites so far this year.

I love how the author did this book. In order to show Odara more about her great grandmother, Elijah "transported her back to the time of Sanura, the era of her great-grandmother." Now, this is a little misleading, at least for me, because the way I took that was we were going to do a bit of time traveling, or even some Scrooge stuff where the ghosts are going to see what happened as it happened, standing on the sidelines. Instead, it was more like she had flashbacks of someone's life, watching the scene play in her head like a movie. It still worked and allowed us to learn a lot - and I mean A LOT. We learn about Doctor Smith, a guy who is very similar to Odara's common-law husband, Henry, in that he is not what you originally believe him to be. We learned about Sanura, along with her best friends Ada and Cinese, and Ada's Aunt Mandisa - the person who taught Sanura her voodoo magic. We learn about how Sophie came to be born, Sanura's connection to other families that we heard about in book two, the people that Sanura helped (and how), and what happened that eventually caused the end to Sanura's life and a big change in Sophie.

I think this book was the best of the three, but I liked all three for different reasons. I want to know more about what happens to Odara and where her life goes next, more about Elijah and the connection that they had (which was pointed out, was noticed by the reader, but was never fully explained), and I'm sad that this book ended. BUT... the way it ended leaves it open for the author to continue the series and I really hope that she does so.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my personal impressions of the book.