Nightbird

Nightbird - Alice Hoffman

"For my readers who are searching for the same things I searched for, Nightbird is a book of hope, for the lonely, the friendless, the girl who is different, the boy who has secrets to keep. In it, magic can be found in unexpected places, right next door or scrawled on a piece of paper hidden in an old desk. It takes place in a summer when everything changes, when the moon is red, when friendships are forged, and when love can be found at your own front door."
~Alice Hoffman, Dear Readers

I couldn't sleep last night and decided to give this book a go. I started at 11:30 ... and finished it around 1:30. I was so tired, but every time I put the book down, I would lay there thinking about the story, and would end up picking it back up again. This is definitely a book I would have picked up when I was younger and there's a few lessons to be learned inside.

I really liked this story - in fact, it's one of the best books I've read so far this year. It is truly moving - one minute you're laughing, the next crying. There some spooky moments, some breath-holding moments, and even some moments when you want to scream out loud to watch out, or even to cheer. It was exciting and fun and I think any child that believes in magic should experience this book (and some adults, those ones that have forgotten over time that magic exists, should pick it up, too).

The characters are awesome, and there isn't one in it that I don't like for one reason or another. They are relatable and not what you first expected and you just can't help but feel the way they feel during different situations. My two favorites are Twig and Julia.

"I think that evening was the beginning of my feeling lonely, a feeling I carried folded up, a secret I could never tell. From then on, I didn't cry when I was disappointed. I just stored up my hurts, as if they were a tower made of fallen stars, invisible to most people, but brightly burning inside of me."

The town of Sidwell just seemed like an awesome town and was very well described. When the author speaks of the woods, I felt like I was walking through them. When she talks about the people in the town, I felt like they could be people I knew. My favorite place in the whole town was the garden they created together.

I also loved hearing about the baking that Twig's mom did - and how much it was loved by this small town. (I even garnered a few things to try myself - you don't need to supply recipes, as long as you supply an idea.)

I don't know if the author plans on writing more about Sidwell, but I do know that she has written a lot of books that look just as good as this one and I can't wait to experience her other stories. :)

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion, based on my personal impressions of the book.