Greed 1: Fatal Greed

Fatal Greed - John W. Mefford

This book had me on the edge of my seat. Well, a couple of chapters in it did. At first, it was a little frustrating and I just did not like the main character, Michael Doyle. He came across as a real wimp and I just could not see what was so interesting about him that I wanted to read a full story about him - parts of it is from his point of view. It took me a couple of days just to get through the first six chapters, which is very unusual for me. Not being able to just give up on a book, I continued on.

Once the other stories started to come in and you could see how they were linked together in unexpected ways, I didn't want to put it down. In fact, I read from chapter ten until the end in one night, not wanting to go to sleep until the whole story was complete. Michael stops becoming a drip after a friend of his is put into jail, and he starts working with the newspaper to find out what really is going on.

The last couple of chapters, when things become seriously dangerous, were action packed and exciting. I came to really like Michael - and was quite intrigued by the bad guy (I won't tell you who that is because it'll give things away).

Some of the writing is choppy, and the end seemed a little too easy, but all-in-all it's a good book and I can't wait to read #2.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my personal impressions of the book.