The Light Key Trilogy 2: Deviate

Deviate - Tracy Clark

I want to start off by saying that I did not read book one in this series, so there were a few things that I didn't quite understand at first - and, of course, there's a previous part to the story that I'm not aware of. BUT the author does a great job answering questions and giving pieces of information throughout the story that cleared up a lot of those confusions. I do plan, however, to go back and read the first book, and to go on and read the third book when it's published.

I really got into this story. It's interesting, different, and eye-opening. The adventure is exciting, and sometimes even scary, as she tries to keep herself, her friends, and her mother safe, all while trying to figure things out.

I like Cora and Finn, and the fact that it's written from the point of view of each (if you're not a fan of the pov change, I do want to point out that it does happen at chapter breaks and not just randomly). In fact, because of the way it's written, more information is able to be given to the reader, you're able to see the good and bad in both of them, and it brings you closer to both characters. The side characters are great, as well. You can tell that the author really wanted each character to be a complete person, and I enjoyed getting to know each one of them, and seeing how they effect the adventure as it unfolds.

Cora has a lot of stuff going on inside of her, especially after the death of her father, which we hear about in the first few pages, and I can only assume happens at the end of the previous book. Having lost my father when I was a teenager, a lot of the things she says about her dad really hit home, as well as some of the things she says about herself personally. I have said before that words in books often times do more than just relate the story - sometimes touching our souls in ways that the author never expected. This, for me, is one of those books.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my personal impressions of the book.