Polarity in Motion

Polarity in Motion - Brenda Vicars

It's very rare for me to finish a book and not have words to express how I feel about the story. Usually, I gush all over it or scream from the rooftops about what made me hate it, but this ... I think I'm still recovering.

I picked this book up two nights ago, planning to read a few chapters before I went to sleep. Next thing I knew, I was finishing the story and it was somewhere around 2:30 in the morning.

The characters were interesting and, with each "turn of the page," I wanted to know more about Polarity and her family. Being there as she went through this horrible experience was heartbreaking and there were times that I wished I was in the story so I could just hug her and make things better. The relationship she had with her parents was something special, but because of her mother's condition, there were some very emotional moments (written well) that affected me as a reader, and as a human being. Polarity and her grandmother were definitely my favorites, but there were a lot of other characters that I enjoyed reading about, including Ethan, her grandmother's boyfriend, and Tilly.

This story is stuck in the genre of romance, but to me it was far more than that. Yes, there was this attraction she had for Ethan, but what I thought was far more important was the fact that he was so willing to help her, and believed her from the very beginning. I loved the mystery, the investigation (and what she learned from her grandma's boyfriend) - the fact that her and her family were so willing to fight for the injustice that was being done - and that she wouldn't give up or just give in. (She was a lot stronger than she ever could have imagined.) There were twists that I didn't expect, things I thought would happen that didn't, and the ending left me quite surprised.

I recommend that this book be read by children in high school - or even ones getting ready to begin there. To me it is a story about bullying and shows you what can happen when you keep your mouth shut instead of speaking out against what is wrong.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my own personal impression of the book.