Love Least Expected

Love Least Expected - Valerie Twombly, Meredith Bond, Aubrey Wynne, Kris Calvert, Katie Stephens, Nessie Strange, Kishan Paul, Isabella Harper, Michaela Miles

Yes, I read (past tense) a romance book. Nine short stories, to be exact. I know, it is very shocking. Especially for anyone who knows me. This is a genre I just can't even convince myself to like, but every February, as we get ready to celebrate Crap Day (haha), I force myself a little out of my comfort zone, and choose a few short stories that catch my attention.

In this situation, one of the authors (Michaela Miles) contacted me, curious as to whether I would want to give their anthology a try. After reading over each story's synopsis, I noticed that there were a couple in there that caught my eye, and decided to give it a go.

There's actually a little something in here for every romance lover - historical, paranormal, fantasy, southern, and contemporary. And, to be completely honest, they weren't half bad ... for romance.

Under the Mango Tree: This was a nice little love story. I liked the characters and the fact that they both went against what was "right" to be together. And I like the beautiful way Meredith writes.

Rolf's Quest: I am a fan of historical fiction, especially when it has to do with Arthurian legend and British royalty. I liked this one - in fact, I think it was my favorite.

Fall Into Darkness: This was an interesting story, but I could have done without the sex (I would consider this erotica). Unfortunately, it doesn't come to any real conclusion. But she does plan on concluding the story in a second book (and I think I may have to check it out, just to see what happens). I liked the character of Eli.

Alphabetical Disorder: An interesting story - one I quite liked - but the end left me with questions and the epilogue was sex with some discussion of the previous events, which didn't seem to go with the way the rest of the story was written.

Fall Into Darkness: This is another story I would consider erotica, but a good storyline. Only the beginning - another story that doesn't quite end, and we have to read the next one in the series to see what happens, but I am curious to see where this goes.

Love's Not Viral: This story really pissed me off. The Bradley character made me angry with his behavior, and the fact that the police just ignored her plea for help, instead believing she was some crazy woman on her period, really made me want to scream. There was a nice twist, though. Even though I thought the story nicely written, I felt like the thing with James was just a little too easy.

Taking the Plunge: This was a cute story. I liked the connections that they unknowingly had from their past. Hearing his thoughts on what saved his life when he was younger was beautiful.

The Trouble with Never: After ending her marriage and going back home with her best friend, she never expected to find what she really wanted had been there all along. Cute romance.

Keep Calm and Eat Chocolate: This was my second favorite in the book. I really liked how much the two characters grew individually, and together.

Note: I received a copy in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.  Please remember that this review is my opinion based on my own personal impression of the book.