Murder at Honeychurch Hall

Murder at Honeychurch Hall: A Mystery - Hannah Dennison

I am a huge fan of mysteries. They are so much fun to read, and a great way to exercise those "little gray cells." Whenever I find one that peaks my interest, I grab it up. This book was one of those.

The first thing that caught my eye about this book, after the title, was the cover. The author really took great care when she had this created - the detail is incredible. There's a small dog, a brick path surrounded by gardens and, in the background, you see Honeychurch Hall. (It wasn't until I was actually reading the descriptions of the house in the book that I noticed the boarded windows and scaffolding.) The cover really got my attention and made me very curious about the mystery that would come in the pages.

This was an enjoyable read. The characters were a lot of fun to get to know, especially Kat and her mom, Iris. The people that lived on the property and in the home were really interesting as well - and well written. I felt like I knew them all when I was done with the book. There were several little mysteries going on as well as the big murder, which made reading the book even more fun. The secrets everyone were keeping from each other, plus the twists and turns of the mysteries, kept me on my toes - and made it very hard to put the book down. I ended up reading the second half of the book all in one night, staying up until well after 2am wanting - no, needing - to finish and find out what happened. The end - I had little ideas about some of it, but the actual conclusion - let's just say that Ms. Dennison really had me stumped. This is the first of a series and I can't wait to be able to read book two.

My favorite character was the young boy, Harry. He was handsome - the kind of kid I would love to hang out with myself - and I really liked the bond that him and Kat had and how quickly they took a liking to each other.

My least favorite character was Kat's boyfriend, but I don't honestly think I was supposed to like him. The author did a great job writing this character.

The mother and daughter team were great - and in some ways reminded me of my relationships with my mother - but sometimes the way they treated each other really got on my nerves. They did grow, however, as the story went along and that helped me like them more.

Note: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.